Campus Site Plan
St. Mark’s Proposed Campus Site Plan
Phase One is conceived to include:
- The closing of Oxford Avenue in order to protect our children from traffic and peril at the heart of our campus and to unify the respective grounds and buildings of Church and Day School. We will create a pedestrian thoroughfare, landscape for beauty and practicality and undertake whatever measures are necessary to bring our infrastructure up to date, including, especially water drainage, signage, and a new pattern for pick-up and drop-off at both the Day School and the Church. The centerpiece of the campus would be the creation of a St. Mark’s Green between the Day School and the Church.
- The razing of the present facility for the Day School, Clingman Hall, and the building of a new facility in the same location that will include a functional kitchen, stage, auditorium, and other features such as the ability to accommodate physical education activities. This building will serve as a multipurpose building and will facilitate plenary gatherings of all sorts.
- The razing or removal of Hope House (known as the “Ingram house”) and the creation of parking on its site in a “village-friendly” manner (i.e. no asphalt, no parking garages) in order to make up for parking lost by the closing of Oxford.
- The expansion of our Chapel to include removal of the present drop ceiling and the installation of rafters, the addition of further seating and the rectification of circulation problems that have plagued the Chapel for years. All stained glass and other appointments will be retained.
Phase Two is envisioned to include:
- The renovation of Leatherbury Hall to include a second story which conforms to code requirements and provides dedicated Sunday School rooms for our children, meeting rooms for our many ministries and groups and a more hospitable and practical use of space on the ground floor.
- The expansion of our present Narthex (entranceway) to the Church to include windows for letting sunlight in, more space for bathrooms and adequate storage for name tags and other items.