Bicycle and Walker Policy
Bicycle/Walker Safety Rules:
- Parents may not use the Bike Gate area on Baltic Street for automobile parking. Vehicles are permitted to park on Ionic Ave in front of 9A and 9B, and parents walk around to the Bike Gate to pick up children at 3:15 p.m. A parental permission form is required for students using this dismissal, as they are considered “walkers.” Please note, there are a limited number of spaces.
- Students in third grade and above may ride bikes unaccompanied to school with a signed parental permission form filed in the school office.
- Students younger than third grade may receive a waiver to the above rule and may walk or bike with an adult or older sibling. In these cases, parents must contact the Assistant Head of School before submitting a signed parental permission form with informational details, to be filed in the school office.
- Parents of students who bicycle or walk are asked to call the office before 8 a.m. to notify the school if your child will be late or absent.
- Bike riding is not allowed on Ortega Blvd. or in school carpool areas. Sixth grade students with early patrol duties and students arriving before 8 a.m. will access the campus from the back down Harvard, walking their bikes from Harvard to carpool area located near the sixth grade rooms, using the bike station located near the sixth grade rooms.
- Adults will be on duty from 7:55-8:15 a.m. and 3:15 -3:30 p.m., at the Bike Gate on Baltic Street to cross students across Baltic Street. A bike rack is located at the far end of the Pre-Kindergarten building drop off area.
- Bike riders must follow bicycle regulations and safety procedures including use of helmets.
- Bike riders must follow all Safety Patrol instructions courteously, including Ortega Elementary Patrols.